CANON COLLECTIVE/ICONIC IMAGES EAST AFRICA PHOTO SAFARI - Sept 2017
Canon Collective/Iconic Images Photo Safari East Africa – September 2017
Note: It is expected the remaining ONE place on this photo safari will fill quite quickly. If you are thinking about registering and you have any questions please contact either Denis Glennon at email@example.com or on 0418 923 103 or Jay Collier at Jay.COLLIER@canon.com.au or on 0410 608 790.
You are invited to join the team from The Canon Collective (www.canon.com.au/collective) on a once in a lifetime photo safari in East Africa.
What makes this photo safari unique is the amount of Canon high performance camera equipment available for you to try out and use whilst in Africa !!!! No other safari offers this.
All guests will have shared access to cameras including the 5D-S, 5D-SR, 1DX Mk2, 5D Mk IV and 7D Mk II, as well as lenses which will include the EF 200-400mm f4L IS, EF 500mm f/4 Mk II, EF 600mm f/4 Mk II, EF 400mm f2.8L IS, EF 300mm f2.8L IS, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS, and EF 100-400mm f3.5-5.6L IS II and more.
Each guest will be provided with at least one super telephoto lens, a 70-200mm or 100-400mm lens and camera body per shoot as well as shared access to a range of wide angle and other speciality Canon lenses throughout the tour. The equipment will be rotated between guests after each shoot to ensure each guest has equal opportunity to access each lens.
This photo safari provides a rare opportunity for you and your friends to experience the safari of a lifetime as you photograph alongside three professional photographers. Irrespective of your existing photography expertise or experience you will be taught how to capture the expanse of East Africa’s landscapes and photograph the smallest details in wildlife. While you learn about camera technique and approaches to composition, our aim is to transform your photography, not merely add to it.
This small group photographic safari (a maximum of TWELVE participants ) has been created for photographers and emerging photographers who have a passion for photographing some of the best of East Africa’s landscapes, culture and its wild animals in their natural environments.
If this overview has sparked your interest and you would like more information, read through the other Tabs or click HERE or the yellow ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON SAFARI button in the sidebar on the right.
“I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke that I was not happy”. [Ernest Hemingway]
In Swahili “safari” means “journey”. Historically the word was synonymous with hunting expeditions in East Africa. Today it is more frequently used by people embarking on a journey into the African bush (wildlife reserves) armed with a camera or three and not an elephant gun.
It is difficult to improve on Karen Blixen’s description of life on safari:
“One only feels free when one can go in whatever direction one pleases over the plains, to get to the river at sundown and pitch one’s camp with the knowledge that one can fall asleep beneath other trees, with another view appearing before one the next night”.
While Karen’s safari experience of the 1920’s has changed somewhat, there still is no better feeling than to be immersed in the natural world that only East Africa can provide.
A safari is not only a journey into Africa; it is a journey into your soul.
This safari into East Africa will take you to three iconic photography spots in Kenya and Tanzania. Most safaris concentrate on either country but rarely both on the same tour.
The locations have been carefully researched. To better the itinerary for photographers would be a challenge.
If you decide to join us, you can expect to experience:
- Meticulous planning and the highest standard of on-ground operations.Exceptional wildlife viewing and amazing photography.
- Excellent accommodation in surprising settings.
- Food ranging from very good to gourmet.
- Drivers and guides having local knowledge that will impress the most demanding photographer/traveller.
- A maximum of four photographers in a vehicle.
- Continuous professional assistance with your photography.
- A carefully designed itinerary that reveals Africa to you at the right pace.
- A short flight from Nairobi to the famous Masai Mara.
- Another short flight between the Mara and Amboseli game reserves.
- Arriving home with the best possible images and memories of your journey into East Africa.
East Africa is to the wildlife photographer as Florence is to the artist and place names like Masai Mara, Great Rift Valley, Amboseli, Mount Kenya, The Aberdares, Samburu, Lake Nakuru, Mount Kilimanjaro, Serengeti, and Ngorongoro Crater conjure up visions of the “best of the best” for any nature or wildlife photographer.
This is a safari, custom-made for photographers and spouses/partners having interests in wildlife, nature, and breath-taking landscapes and who wish to experience, in one trip, extraordinary, untamed parts of East Africa accessible for many, but once in their lifetime.
It features some of the best and most stunning wildlife viewing opportunities that Kenya and Tanzania have to offer, with one important advantage: you will be traveling in the company of three professional photographers to help you capture amazing images.
It is confined to a maximum of twelve participants, is suitable for participants of all levels of photographic experience and is a trip that a non-photographing spouse or travel partner will thoroughly enjoy.
“Everything in Africa bites, but the photo safari bug is the worst of all”. [Denis Glennon AO]
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do rather than by the ones you did do. So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream and discover” . [Mark Twain]
- We will show you the best of the Masai Mara and its predators. Depending on sightings we may spend whole days in the reserve taking a picnic lunch with us.
- You will experience seldom-visited parts of The Mara’s ecosystem, down to the southern boundary where the Mara and Serengeti adjoin. Here, there is little human traffic – a true wilderness experience.
- Entim camp is located on the bank of the Mara River – an idyllic spot to dine or sit around the camp fire.
- The Masai Mara, is the setting for the most awesome wildlife spectacle on earth. Each year more than one million wildebeest and quarter-million zebras continue their great circular migration. We have timed this safari to be there for one of the main attractions of the northern migration – the famed river crossings. Of course the predators are never far away and you may witness and photograph a hunt or kill.
- Game drives and photography, every morning (at dawn) & afternoon (pre-sunset and returning to camp in time for dinner).
- In Amboseli, you should capture classic shots of herds of elephants, sometimes over 30 strong, wandering across grass plains, past tall acacia tress, with the snow-capped peak of Mount Kilimanjaro as your backdrop. This is the best place in Africa to photograph these great pachyderms – many of them with huge tusks. Yes, this image captures everything that is desired on a safari: unlimited space, far horizons, big sky, wild animals and landscapes that cannot be mistaken for anywhere else on the planet.
- You will stay in an award winning ecotourism lodge in Amboseli – the Serena Safari Lodge. Set against the magnificent backdrop of Africa’s highest mountain, Mount Kilimanjaro, this lodge enjoys a uniquely privileged position at the heart of this world-famous national park.
- The Ngorongoro area is also home to the red-robed Masai people who tend their herds of cattle, sheep and goats in a place most of us would be privileged to see and photograph once in our lifetime. Ngorongoro Crater needs no introduction: it is a concentration of wildlife like no other in the world; a wildlife paradise protected by a circular 700 metre high “wall”.
- You will stay at Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge, strategically perched on the rim of this ‘Garden of Eden’, affording unbelievable views plunging down over the crater floor, 2,500 metres above sea level. The Lodge is elegantly built mainly from natural stone and local wood, harmoniously merging with its natural surroundings, and it is provided with panoramic windows that encompass superb views of the Crater’s great bowl.
- If you do not already have a passion for Africa, it is guaranteed you will by the end of this very special photo safari.
- Continuous help with your photography and processing of your images using either Lightroom or Photoshop.
- Gentle and helpful comments from three professional photographers on your images to turn them into ‘something special’.
“Each time I touch the soil of Africa, I feel a rekindling of knowing what life is about”. [Denis Glennon AO]
Dates & Summary Itinerary
The photo safari commences in Nairobi, Kenya on 3 September 2017 and finishes in Nairobi, on 15 September 2017.
For your convenience direct links have been provided to each lodge/camp you will visit on this photo safari. To access, simply click on the name of the lodge/camp.
|3 Sept||Arrive in Nairobi – start of photo safari||Serena Hotel|
|4 Sept||Fly from Nairobi to Masai Mara – 1 hour||Entim Camp – 6 nights|
|10 Sept||Fly to Amboseli||Amboseli Serena Lodge – 3 nights|
|13 Sept||Drive to Ngorongoro Crater – 5 to 6 hours||Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge – 2 nights|
|15 Sept||Drive to Kilimanjaro Airport & fly to Nairobi||N/A|
You can also download the more comprehensive itinerary by clicking the DOWNLOAD ITINERARY button in the sidebar.
Costs, Terms of Payment, How to Register & Separate Canon Deed Poll
The cost is: US$14,950.00 per person, twin share, (or the equivalent in AU$ at the time of making the final payment), excluding international flights to/from Africa, travel insurance and visa costs.
A single supplement of US$3,350 (or the equivalent in AU$ when registering) applies, if specifically requested. Please note this single supplement is payable, in full, at the time of registration. There are only two unshared rooms/tents available in each camp.
Please note, the cost is in US dollars.
To minimize currency exchange risks, payments should only be made to the US dollar bank account of the travel agent, Our World Travel.
Should you wish to use your credit card for payment in US dollars please check with your bank or financial institution to determine the most cost effective way to do so.
Costs associated with passport, visas and yellow fever certificates are personal costs and are additional to the cost of the photo safari.
Terms of Payment
Terms of Payment are as follows:
1. A non-refundable 25% deposit at the time of submitting the completed Registration Form and the Canon Deed Poll Form.
2. A second non-refundable payment of 25% on or before Fri 30th January 2017.
3. A final payment of the remaining 50%, on or before Fri 30th June 2017.
4. Should you wish to pay by credit card, which is acceptable, a fee of 2% will be charged by the booking agent, Our World Travel.
How to Register
To register, you are required to complete two forms:
- An Iconic Images International (III) Registration Form (3 pages).
- A Canon Deed Poll Form (1 page).
To download the III Registration Form and the Canon Deed Poll Form click the “REGISTRATION FORMS” button in the sidebar, download and print a copy of each form, complete all three pages of the III Registration Form and the one page Canon Deed Poll Form. When you are satisfied you have provided all the information requested, return both forms, together with payment of the first 25% deposit, to:
Our World Travel, Shop 1/113 Royal Street, East Perth, Perth WA 6004, Australia, attention Mr Nick Missikos.
If You Would Like More Details
If you would like to discuss any aspect of international flights or the obligatory travel insurance for the photographic safari, please contact the booking agent, Our World Travel – East Perth, on o8 9221 9977 and request to speak to Mr Nick Missikos. Alternatively you can email Nick Missikos at Nick@owtravel.com.au
If you would like to discuss any aspect of the photographic safari, including queries on camera equipment, before making a decision to join us, please contact either:
Denis Glennon AO on 0418 923 103 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Jay Collier on 0410 608 790 or Jay.COLLIER@canon.com.au
Please ensure you download the comprehensive itinerary containing most of the information you will initially need, by clicking on “DOWNLOAD ITINERARY’ in the box on the right hand side.
If this photographic safari is not for you, perhaps you might consider forwarding the information to a friend, who may like to know about it.
To assist you prepare for this photo safari I have compiled a comprehensive, downloadable and printable PDF. It contains helpful information on:
- Travelling with and looking after photographic equipment in Africa.
- Downloading and backing-up images every day.
- Power supply in Kenya and Tanzania for charging batteries, laptop, mobile phone, etc.
- Vehicle etiquette and consideration for fellow passengers and photographers.
- Keeping healthy in Africa.
- Money Matters in Kenya and Tanzania.
- Immigration and Customs at Nairobi International Airport, Kenya.
- Arrangements to meet you on arrival at Nairobi International Airport.
- Travel documents, personal items & clothing checklist.
- Personal medical items checklist.
- Camera equipment checklist – this is a comprehensive list and you should not be overwhelmed.
- Summary itinerary.
- Your Tour Leaders/Assistants.
- Guide to paying gratuities on this photo safari.
- Denis’ choice of lenses and other camera equipment for this photo safari.
Perusing the information in this PDF will undoubtedly enrich your photo safari and help you to return home with iconic images, and many magnificent memories.
The information in the PDF will help you with selecting and packing your camera equipment and other essential items for the tour.
A copy of this PDF will be forwarded to all registered participants, approximately thirty days before the commencement of the photo safari.