Iconic East Africa - September 2020
UPDATE: All places on this photo safari have been filled.
- We fly instead of driving between locations – much more time for photography.
- We photograph in both Kenya & Tanzania in the one safari.
- Off-road permits obtained for both locations (subject to any unforeseen regulatory changes between now and our safari) – we get you away from the large crowds. A rare and special experience.
- We will show you the best of the Masai Mara and its predators and if the action is on, we will spend whole days photographing, taking a picnic lunch with us.
- You will photograph in seldom-visited parts of the Mara, down to the southern boundary where the Mara and Serengeti adjoin. Here, there is little human traffic – a true wilderness experience.
- Lerai Safari Camp is the only permanent safari accommodation in the 5,000 acre Olerai Conservancy – an area teaming with wildlife and migratory pathways for wildebeest, zebra, elephant and antelopes.
- We have Lerai Camp to ourselves and there is a nearby riverine forest stream drawing elephants towards Lerai camp.
- Governor’s Private Camp is located on the bank of the Mara River – ideally located for quick access to river crossings, where action photography can be like no other.
- We will be there for one of the main attractions of the Mara – the crossing of the herds through the rapidly flowing Mara river in which the huge Nile crocodiles, silently wait.
- Your home in Serengeti is Kusini Safari Camp – the twelve tented bush camp is so remote that it needs its own airstrip!
- Kusini is your own Serengeti – exclusive in location, rich in experience and luxurious in setting.
- Serengeti will be about less animals, but also less vehicles. A true wilderness experience where we will have the wide plains all to ourselves and also every sighting too.
- If you do not already have a passion for Africa, I guarantee you will,by the end of this very special photo safari.
“Each time I touch the soil of Africa, I feel a rekindling of knowing what life is about. [Denis Glennon AO]
There still is no better feeling than photographing the world of wildness that only East Africa delivers.
The locations have been researched carefully and to better the itinerary, in the one safari, will be a challenge.
If you decide to join us, you can expect to experience:
- Exceptional wildlife viewing and amazing photography.
- Endless help from two very experienced wildlife professional photographers – Jay Collier and Andre Cloete
- Meticulous planning and high standard of on-ground operations.
- Five star tented safari accommodation in settings that will blow you away.
- Food ranging from very good to gourmet.
- Drivers and guides with local knowledge that will impress the most demanding photographer/traveller.
- A maximum of three photographers in a vehicle – you will have an entire seat row to yourself.
- A carefully designed itinerary that reveals Africa to you, at the right pace.
- Efficient, scheduled flights between locations to minimize driving time and maximize photography time.
- Arriving home with the best possible images.
This is a safari, custom-made for photographers and spouses/partners interested in wildlife, the natural world and who wish to experience, in one trip, some untamed parts of East Africa, accessible for some, but once in their lifetime.
It features some of the most stunning wildlife these two countries have to offer, with one important advantage: you will be travelling in the company of the two professional photographers, Jay Collier and Andre Cloete to help you capture memorable images.
The safari is confined to a maximum of ten (10) participants.
It is suitable for people with varying levels of photographic experience and is a trip that a non-photographing spouse or travel partner will thoroughly enjoy.
Dates, Summary Itinerary & Accommodation
The photo safari commences in Nairobi, Kenya on 21 September 2020 and finishes in Nairobi on 1 October 2020.
For your convenience direct links have been provided to each lodge/camp you will visit. Enjoy browsing!
|21 Sept||Arrive Nairobi – start of safari||Serena Hotel|
|22 – 25 Sept||Fly Nairobi/Masai Mara & drive to camp||Lerai Camp – 3 nights|
|25 – 26 Sept||Road transfer from Lerai Camp to Governor’s Private Camp||Governor’s Private Camp – 2 nights|
|27 – 30 Sept||Fly Masai Mara/Serengeti||Kusini Camp– 4 nights|
|1 Oct||Fly Serengeti/Nairobi (via Kilimanjaro) – end of safari||N/A|
You may access the more comprehensive itinerary by clicking the ADDITIONAL INFORMATION button in the sidebar and downloading the PDF.
Costs, Registration & Terms of Payment
Please note, Iconic Images is obligated to pay the costs of the photographic safari in US dollars.
The cost is US$15,950.00 (or the equivalent in AU$ at the time of making the final payment) per person, twin share.
A single supplement for unshared accommodation, of US$1,550.00 applies (or the equivalent in AU$ at the time of making this payment). The request for unshared accommodationand and full payment must be made, at the time of registration.
Terms of Payment
- A non-refundable 25% deposit together with a completed Registration Form, on or before Fri 31st January 2020.
- A second non-refundable payment of 25% on or before Fri 24th April 2020.
- A final payment of the remaining 50%, on or before Fri 26th June 2020.
A Registration From must be completed for each participant. The Form can be accessed by clicking the “REGISTRATION FORM’ button on the right hand side. Download and complete the form and send it directly to Our World Travel, whose contact details are shown in the form.
[Places will be allocated strictly on the basis of receipt of the completed Registration Form together with payment of the first deposit and a copy of the travel insurance policy referred to below.]
Flights & Insurance Enquiries
To discuss any aspect of international flights for the safari or the required travel insurance, please contact the sole booking agent:
Our World Travel, Shop 1/113 Royal Street, East Perth, Western Australia 6004.
Telephone:+61 (0)8 9221 9977; Fax:+61 (0)8 92215577 and request to speak to Mr Nick Missikos.
Alternatively please email Nick at: Nick@owtravel.com.au
Nick offers his assistance to all participants, to ensure you get best available/most cost-effective flights for your desired routing. If you intend booking flights yourself, using your frequent flyer points or other means, Nick may also be able to help you. Travel insurance is mandatory and Nick Missikos has much experience in helping travellers obtain the most suitable policy.
Itinerary & Other Enquiries
If you would like to discuss any aspect of the photo safari, before making a decision to register, please contact:
Denis Glennon AO on +61 418 923 103 (from outside Australia) or on 0418 923 103 (from inside Australia), or Jay Collier on 0410 608 790.
Denis at: firstname.lastname@example.org
IF THIS PHOTO SAFARI IS NOT FOR YOU, PERHAPS YOU MIGHT CONSIDER FORWARDING THE INFORMATION TO A FRIEND, WHO MAY LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT IT.
Ensure you download the more comprehensive itinerary document which contains most of the information you will initially need, by clicking the ‘ADDITIONAL INFORMATION’ box on the right hand side.
To assist you prepare for this photographic safari I have compiled a comprehensive, downloadable and printable PDF. It contains helpful information on:
- Travelling with and looking after photographic equipment in Africa.
- Downloading and backing-up images every day.
- Power supply in Kenya and Tanzania for charging batteries, laptop, mobile phone, etc.
- Vehicle etiquette and consideration for fellow passengers and photographers.
- Keeping healthy in Africa.
- Money Matters in Kenya and Tanzania.
- Immigration and Customs at Nairobi International Airport, Kenya.
- Arrangements to meet you on arrival at Nairobi International Airport.
- Travel documents, personal items & clothing checklist
- Personal medical items checklist.
- Camera equipment checklist – this is a comprehensive list and you should not be overwhelmed.
- Summary itinerary.
- Your Tour Leaders
- Guide to paying gratuities on this photo safari.
- A suggested choice of lenses and other camera equipment for this photo safari.
Perusing the information in this PDF will enrich your safari and help you to return home with iconic images, as well as many magnificent memories.
The PDF will also help you with selecting and packing your camera equipment and other essential items for the tour.
A copy of this PDF will be forwarded to all registered participants, approximately thirty (30) days before the commencement of the photo safari.